The 69th Primetime Emmy Awards is set to air on September 17th. It is an event that many look forward to as it honors the best in prime-time television programming in the United States. The time frame of acknowledgment for this year’s celebration was from June 1, 2016, to May 31, 2017, and within that year, ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ shined bright as it has scored huge on Emmy nomination announcement day!
‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ made a momentous move over the past year from the Logo channel – TV’s biggest LGBTQ+ Network - to the more mainstream VH1, and that move proved to be significant as the ninth season of the show has been nominated for a whopping 8 Emmy nominations! The nominations are for the following categories:
· Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
· Outstanding Host for a Reality/Reality-Competition Program
· Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program: Untucked
· Outstanding Hairstyling for a Multi-Camera Series or Special
· Outstanding Picture Editing for a Structured or Competition Reality Program
· Outstanding Costumes for Variety, Nonfiction or Reality Programming
· Outstanding Casting for a Reality Program
· Outstanding Makeup for a Multi-Camera Series or Special (Non-Prosthetic)
This isn’t the first year that ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ has been nominated for an Emmy award, in fact, RuPaul took home the award for Outstanding Host for a Reality/Reality-Competition Program last year. However, this is the first time that the show has ever received these many nominations in a single year. The astonishing show fired aired in 2009 on February 2nd and every season, it makes way for 13 cutthroat queens to compete for the coveted title of “America’s Next Drag Superstar” and a cash prize of $100,000.
In a statement to HuffPost, RuPaul stated, “I want to thank the Academy for honoring the entire cast and crew of ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’, my family at World of Wonder, and our champions at VH1. It takes a village, people! Their creativity and dedication to telling the stories of our brave and talented queens never cease to amaze, amuse and inspire.”
To RuPaul, the brave queens that continuously compete in the show, and everyone involved from producers to the hair and makeup crew – congratulations! Wishing you many more years of success as you push for our community’s representation on TV and much success at this year’s Emmy awards!